Skip to main content

Contact details by topic

If you’re unsure who to contact, use the list below to work out which government organisation could help with your question.

This list only includes the most popular topics for people using our website. If you cannot find what you're looking for, use our website search or visit our A-Z list of government organisations.

Travelling to or living in NZ

Immigration and visas

For NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) applications or visas, contact Immigration NZ (INZ).

Contact INZ

Visa application status

To check your application status log in to INZ with your client number.

How long it takes to process a visa application — INZ

Live or work in NZ

To check whether you can live or work in NZ, contact INZ.

Contact INZ

Explore NZ visa options — INZ


To apply for citizenship in New Zealand, contact the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA).

New Zealand citizenship

General contact information — Citizenship

NZ Passport application and renewal

For New Zealand passport applications and renewals, contact DIA.

Contact Identity and passports

Import goods, animals or personal belongings

For customs clearance to bring items into NZ, contact the NZ Customs Service and the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

Contact NZ Customs Service

Contact MPI

Travelling or living overseas

Official advice

For up to date, official advice for New Zealanders living and travelling overseas, see the Safe Travel website.

Advice for New Zealanders overseas — Safe Travel

COVID-19 — Safe Travel

Contact a NZ embassy overseas

To find NZ embassies in certain countries and territories, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) website.

Embassies — MFAT

Passport expiry and transit requirements

Before you leave New Zealand, make sure your NZ passport is valid.

Contact Identity and passports

To check you meet travel and transit requirements, check with your airline.

Visa expiry and re-entry conditions

If you visa has expired, is about to expire or you have questions about the conditions about your visa, contact Immigration NZ (INZ).

Contact INZ

Extending the travel conditions of a resident visa — INZ

For visas in another country or territory, contact the local immigration authority.

Export goods, animals or personal belongings

For customs clearance when you take items out of NZ, you may need to contact both the NZ Customs Service and the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

Contact NZ Customs Service

Contact MPI

Emergencies, health advice, and workplace safety

Emergencies overseas

If you’re reporting a death, serious illness or injury, or arrest of a NZ citizen in another country, call the Consular Emergency Assistance number:

Emergency help when you’re overseas

Emergencies in New Zealand

If you have an emergency in NZ — call 111.

You can ask for an ambulance, police, fire service or search and resuce.

Health advice and services

For free health advice, treatment and information, call Healthline on 0800 611 116. It's available, 24/7.

About Healthline

Mental health and addictions

Speak with a professional counsellor for free — call or text on 1737. It's available, 24/7.

Workplace safety and injuries

For questions about workplace safety and regulations, contact WorkSafe.

Contact WorkSafe

Report a serious work health and safety issue, injury or death to WorkSafe.

Notify WorkSafe — WorkSafe

For questions about injuries, claims and payments, contact Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).

Contact ACC

COVID-19 information

New Zealand’s health organisations

For any general or media enquires about:

  • the planning and commissioning of health services in NZ
  • the government's health and disability policies
  • personal or health information requests
  • official information requests (OIA)
  • reporting concerns you have about health and disability services

Contact one of the following organisations:

Births, deaths, marriages

For birth and marriage certificates, to register a death or related matters, contact the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA):

From other countries:

Financial support — benefits, family and child support

Work and Income New Zealand

For benefits, allowances, NZ Super, Veteran’s pension, living expenses or if you are out of work, contact Work and Income.

Work and Income may be able to help, even if you’re not on a benefit:

Working for Families and Best Start

To apply for and receive Working for Families or Best Start, contact Inland Revenue (IR).

Working for Families and Best Start: Contact IR

Child support

To set up and maintain your child support payments, contact Inland Revenue (IR).

Child support: Contact IR

Housing, rates and renting


For help with living expenses or to find emergency housing, contact Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ).

Contact Work and Income

For information on housing and urban development policy and support, contact the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Contact HUD

For information about the public housing landlord and urban development partner, contact Kāinga Ora — Homes and Communities.

Contact Kāinga Ora


For help with a rates postponement or rebate, contact your local council.

Find your local council by region

Rates rebate calculator

Use the calculator to get an estimate on what you might be eligible for.

Rates rebate calculator


For information and guides on tenancy rights and responsibilities, contact Tenancy Services.

Contact Tenancy Services

Business, work, employment rights, paid parental leave

Start a business in NZ

For help starting a business in New Zealand, contact


Find a job or list a vacancy

People seeking work and employers looking for staff can connect on the following websites:

Find a job — Ministry of Social Development

List a job vacancy — Work and Income

Find a job in the public service —

Employment rights and complaints

For information about employment rights and guidance on how to resolve your concerns, contact Employment New Zealand.

Contact Employment NZ

Steps to resolve — Employment New Zealand

Paid parental leave

To apply for and receive paid parental leave, contact Inland Revenue (IR).

Paid parental leave: Contact IR

Impacts on work

For financial assistance if you've lost your job or are not working at the moment, contact Work and Income New Zealand.

You’re not working — Work and Income

For support when making employees redundant, contact Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ).

Redundancy support for employers — Work and Income

The employer helpline for redundancy support is 0800 778 008.

For information about COVID-19 and the workplace for employees, employers and businesses, contact Employment NZ.

COVID-19 and the workplace — Employment NZ

Tax — IRD numbers, KiwiSaver and student loans

Contact Inland Revenue (IR) if you have questions about tax, such as:

  • deductions from your income
  • self-employment
  • goods and services tax (GST)
  • employing staff.

Contact IR

Tax (IRD) numbers

For most types of income you will need a tax number — called an IRD number. If you're not sure, contact IR.

IRD numbers — IR


For help to start and maintain your KiwiSaver savings scheme, contact Inland Revenue.

KiwiSaver: Contact IR

Student loans

For information about your student loan, contact Inland Revenue (IR).

Student loans: Contact IR

Contact an MP or the NZ Parliament

Contact an MP (Member of Parliament)

Find an MP by their name, political party or electorate.

Contact an MP — NZ Parliament

Find an MP by their name or what they do in government.

Contact The Beehive

Contact the NZ Parliament

Find information about the visitor centre, education services, Parliamentary Information Service, Office of the Speaker, and media enquiries.

Contact NZ Parliament

Guided tours — NZ Parliament

Fair trading, consumer rights and privacy

Fair trading

For business information on fair trading, regulated industries, competition, mergers and authorisations, contact the Commerce Commission.

Contact Commerce Commission

Consumer rights

For price concerns on essential products and services, contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

Contact Consumer Protection

Make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal online on the Tribunal’s website.

How to make a claim — Disputes Tribunal

Call 0800 COURTS (0800 268 787) for enquires or for an update on your case.

Bank complaints

For complaints about your bank, contact the Banking Ombudsman.

Contact Banking Ombudsman

Privacy complaints

For complaints about privacy, contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.

Contact Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Utility links and page information

Was this page helpful?
Thanks, do you want to tell us more?

Do not enter personal information. All fields are optional.

Last updated